Pick-by-Voice with Lydia® - LUCA as system provider
Lydia® is the best technology for voice-guided picking
topsystem and LUCA are long-standing solutions partners
We deliver Pick-by-Voice
Pick-by-Voice made in Germany
Pick by Voice System is a special type of technology for paperless picking in intralogistics. The picker communicates with the warehouse management system by voice.
Pick-by-Voice Solutions are among the standards among the many picking processes. The voice-supported picking procedure was developed around 1995 and was designed to support pickers in improving picking performance. At that time, however, voice recognition did not work well. As a system provider we decided to use Lydia® voice recognition.
Pick-by-Voice Hardware (base)
The standard system consists of the following components:
- Headphones with a microphone (headset). Alternatively, the picker can use the Lydia® VoiceWear® as a system vest with built-in microphone and speakers during picking.
- Voice terminal with a belt or clip (e.g. Voxter® from topsystem or other devices). Guarantees WiFi communication with the system and performs voice recognition.
- Exchangeable battery (lasts for 10-12 working hours) with chargers.
Pick-by-Voice System enhancements
As a system provider we have the following extensions at our disposal:
- Back of the hand Barcode scanner for reading articles or serial numbers (logistics standard for picking)
- ePaper displays as dynamic check digit displays at each storage compartment (change e.g. every 10 minutes)
- Pick-by-Point® as a supplementary picking system for direct display of the storage locations. This hybrid solution increases efficiency and performance enormously.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about the system. In further articles we will describe the topic Pick-by-Voice in more detail.
How does it work Pick-by-Voice?
- The picking list (order) is prepared by the warehouse management system in the route-optimised process sequence and LUCA-Server sent to the customer. Paperless picking can begin.
- This LUCA-Server controls the process and sends the commands to the voice terminal. The instructions are given to the picker via headset.
(e.g. "go to aisle 7", "storage location A02 05 14", "3 pieces").
When working, the picker can repeat the current voice instruction again and again with a voice command "repeat".
- The picker confirms the aisle ("7 OK"), the storage location ("57 OK" as check digit) and its removal ("3 OK") by voice input. The software on the voice terminal analyses his voice. The high-quality Lydia® software converts the voice commands into text commands.
The picker can adjust the volume, speed of pronunciation and other parameters by voice control during picking.
The confirmation of the withdrawal (acknowledgement) is sent to the Warehouse Management System via the LUCA-Server. Further processing, the next voice dialog of the picking process and communication with the Voxter® hardware is also done centrally via the server.
- Flexible use in warehouse logistics through lightweight, portable voice technology (wearables)
- Order-oriented, voice-guided picking with direct data acquisition of picking lists
- Optimal for working on a job
- Hands and eyes free when picking (freedom of movement and good voice output)
- With Lydia® from topsystem: speaker-independent voice recognition (voice system without teach-in). We trust Lydia® as a system provider
- High error rate due to memorization of the check digits for smaller warehouses
- Loss in picking time and picking performance due to many voice inputs (the picker has to speak a lot).
- Not suitable for Multi-Order-Picking (only simple picklists work well) The picker may lose orientation at the storage location when distributing the goods to several orders.
- Relatively low picking line in comparison with other pick-by- systems.
- High stress on employees at high speed (weak cognitive ergonomics with the system and low employee acceptance in case of incorrect use)
When should be Pick-by-Voice used?
The voice-controlled method can be used to great advantage in a company for slow and medium-fast paperless picking in large pallet warehouses. However, the demands on the operator must not be too high. The order picker has to adapt to voice control. Otherwise the errors increase very quickly and productivity drops.
Pick-by-Voice is not well suited for high performance picking from shelving or flow racks. Picking from pallets is Pick-by-Voice very suitable.
Languages supported by Lydia
Voice voice output (output)
Arabic, Basque, Bengali (India), Bhojpuri (India), Bulgarian (Bulgaria), Cantonese (Hong Kong), Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dongbei (China), Dutch (Belgium, Netherlands), English (Australia, Great Britain, India, Ireland, Scotland, South Africa, USA), Farsi, Finnish, French (Canada, France), Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Malay, Mandarin (China, Taiwan), Marathi, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Shanghainese (China), Sichuanese, Slovak, Spanish (Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Spain), Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Valencian, Vietnamese
Voice Voice input (input)
Arabic (Gulf Region), Bulgarian (Bulgaria), Cantonese (Hong Kong), Czech (Czech Republic), Danish (Denmark), Dutch (Netherlands, Belgian), English (USA, England, Australia, Scotland, Ireland, India, South Africa), Farsi, Finnish (Finland), French (Canada, France), German (Germany), Greek (Greece), Hebrew (Israel), Hindi (India), Hungarian (Hungary), Indonesian (Indonesia), Italian (Italy), Japanese (Japan), Korean (South Korea), Mandarin (China), Norwegian (Bokmal, Norway), Polish (Poland), Portuguese (Portugal, Brazil), Russian (Russian Federation), Sichuanese (China), Slovak, Spanish (Spain, Catalan, Basque, Mexico), Swedish (Sweden), Thai (Thailand), Turkish (Turkey)
Pick-by-Voice is very flexible for paperless picking in intralogistics and can be used excellently for slow and medium performance in picking on large storage areas. The speaker-independent Lydia® software ensures easy implementation for the order picker and provides very good results of the voice analysis in the selected language. Even in difficult and noisy environments the error rate with Lydia® is very low! Also suitable for logistics in a cold store. The check digits at the storage locations should better be replaced by scanners or various extensions.
We supply Pick-by-Voice systems with Lydia®. Please send us an inquiry.
Note: Lydia® is a registered trademark of topsystem.
You can find an overview of all LUCA order picking systems on the page: LUCA systems.