Lydia® is the best technology for voice-guided picking at Voice Picking .
LUCA is a system provider with direct SAP connection.
We have many years of experience in paperless order picking
Logistics and production
Voice Picking made in Germany
Voice Picking solutions are one of the standards among the many picking methods. Voice picking was developed around 1995 to help pickers improve picking performance. However, at that time, voice recognition did not work well. As a provider and supplier of many picking methods, we chose Lydia® voice recognition.
Voice Picking Hardware (LUCA as provider)
The standard system consists of the following components:
- Headphones with a microphone (headset). Alternatively, the picker can use the Lydia® VoiceWear® as a system waistcoat with built-in microphone and speakers when picking.
- Voice terminal with a belt or clip (e.g. Voxter® from topsystem or other devices). Guarantees WiFi communication with the system and performs voice recognition.
- Replaceable battery (lasts the application for 10-12 working hours) with chargers.
Voice Picking System extensions
As a system provider, we have the following extensions available:
- Back of the hand barcode scanner for reading in articles or serial numbers (logistics standard for order picking)
- ePaper displays as dynamic check digit displays at each storage compartment (change e.g. every 10 minutes)
- Pick-by-Point® as a complementary picking system for direct display of storage locations. This hybrid solution increases efficiency and performance enormously.
If you have any questions about the voice-supported system, we will be happy to help you as a supplier. We will describe the topic Voice Picking in more detail in further articles.
Voice Picking and SAP
No problem. Our LUCA-Server ensures an optimal connection to every warehouse management system and also to SAP. The systems can exchange data with each other via RFC, IDOCs, databases or TCP/IP.
How does Voice Picking work ?
- The pick list (order) is prepared by the warehouse management system in the routing-optimised process sequence and sent to LUCA-Server . Paperless picking can begin.
- The LUCA-Server controls the process and sends the commands to the voice terminal. The instructions are issued to the picker via headset.
(e.g. "go to aisle 7", "storage bin A02 05 14", "3 pieces").
While working, the picker can have the current voice instruction repeated over and over again with a voice command "repeat".
- The picker confirms the aisle ("7 OK"), the storage location ("57 OK" as a check digit) and his pick ("3 OK") by voice input. The software on the voice terminal analyses his voice. The high-quality Lydia® software converts the voice commands into text commands.
The picker can adjust the volume, speed of pronunciation and other parameters by voice control during picking.
The confirmation of the removal (acknowledgement) is sent to the warehouse management system via the LUCA-Server. The further processing, the next voice dialogue of the picking process and the communication with the Voxter® hardware is also done centrally via the server.
Voice Picking Advantages
The advantages of Voice Picking at a glance:
- Flexible use in warehouse logistics through lightweight, portable voice technology (wearables)
- Order-oriented, voice-guided picking with direct data entry of picking lists
- Optimal for working on one job (only then high efficiency)
- Hands and eyes free when picking (freedom of movement and good voice output)
- With Lydia® from topsystem: speaker-independent voice recognition (voice system without teach-in). We trust Lydia® as a system provider.
Voice Picking Disadvantages
However,Voice Picking also has some disadvantages that burden the system:
- High error rate due to memorising the check digits for smaller warehouses
- Loss in picking time and picking performance due to many voice inputs (the picker has to speak a lot).
- Not suitable for Multi-Order-Picking (only simple pick lists work well). The picker can lose orientation at the storage location when distributing the goods to several orders.
- Relatively low picking performance compared to other pick-by systems.
- High stress on staff at high speed (weak cognitive ergonomics with the system and low staff acceptance of incorrect use).
When should the Voice Picking system be used in warehouse logistics?
The voice-guided (voice-controlled) method can be used very well in the logistics of a company for slow and medium-fast paperless picking in large pallet warehouses with advantage. However, the demands on the operator(picker) must not be too high. The picker must adapt to the voice control. Otherwise, errors increase very quickly and productivity drops. This is where voice-assisted picking has its limits.
Voice Picking is not well suited in logistics for high-performance picking from shelf racks or flow racks. For picking from pallets, Voice Picking is very well suited. As a provider of many picking methods, we also like to combine Voice Picking with other systems to create an optimal overall solution (read also about our hybrid concepts).
Supported languages of Lydia®
Voice speech outputs (output)
Arabic, Basque, Bengali (India), Bhojpuri (India), Bulgarian (Bulgaria), Cantonese (Hong Kong), Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dongbei (China), Dutch (Belgium, Netherlands), English (Australia, Great Britain, India, Ireland, Scotland, South Africa, USA), Farsi, Finnish, French (Canada, France), Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Malay, Mandarin (China, Taiwan), Marathi, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Shanghainese (China), Sichuanese, Slovak, Spanish (Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Spain), Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Valencian, Vietnamese
Voice input (input)
Arabic (Gulf Region), Bulgarian (Bulgaria), Cantonese (Hong Kong), Czech (Czech Republic), Danish (Denmark), Dutch (Netherlands, Belgian), English (USA, England, Australia, Scotland, Ireland, India, South Africa), Farsi, Finnish (Finland), French (Canada, France), German (Germany), Greek (Greece), Hebrew (Israel), Hindi (India), Hungarian (Hungary), Indonesian (Indonesia), Italian (Italy), Japanese (Japan), Korean (South Korea), Mandarin (China), Norwegian (Bokmal, Norway), Polish (Poland), Portuguese (Portugal, Brazil), Russian (Russian Federation), Sichuanese (China), Slovak, Spanish (Spain, Catalan, Basque, Mexico), Swedish (Sweden), Thai (Thailand), Turkish (Turkey)
Voice Picking, as a voice-supported solution for paperless order picking, is very flexible in intralogistics and can be used excellently for slow and medium performance in order picking in large storage areas. The speaker-independent Lydia® software ensures an easy introduction for the order picker and provides very good results of the speech analysis in the set language. Even in difficult and noisy environments, the error rate with Lydia® is very low! Also suitable for logistics in a cold storage warehouse. The check digit at the storage locations should be better replaced by scanners or various extensions.
We supply Voice Picking systems with Lydia® and connect our systems to any warehouse management system or SAP.
Note: Lydia® is a registered trademark of topsystem.
Overview of all LUCA order picking systems can be found on the page: LUCA systems.